Saturday, December 27, 2008

Nigeria - Off the Beaten Path

Church, church and more church. I went to church the day before yesterday for Christmas (Merry Christmas, btw!) and went around to visit some family (including seeing Josephine, one of my favorite cousins over here, the other being her twin, Ngozi). I went back to church yesterday and will probably go again on Sunday. *SIGH*A very religious people, the Nigerians, hehe.

So what else happened? Oh yes, there was a festival the day before yesterday that I went to went the family. Well, “danced down the street to with a troupe of drummers, family and friends” is more accurate. It was a big town-wide thing, but among the activities, my dad was given yet another chieftaincy title. So apparently, I’m a prince of some sort? Weird. After that (which went on for quite a while), there was a Gala Night. It was supposed to be like a party for young people. There was a live band which was good in parts and super boring in other parts. My bro and I went out with 3 of my cousins. It was pretty good overall.

Today was mostly a chillout day. I just hung out at the house most of the day and played with the dog. He’s pretty bite-y in the way he plays, btw. In any case, after having breakfast, we went out to buy some bread that my mom likes, after which we went to see the Agulu-Nanka Erosion, a giant valley made purely from crazy erosion from the torrential rains here in Nigeria. It was really amazing. To get there, we first went down like 3 back roads and asked around a half dozen people for directions. We finally had to have a local kid from the town we found ourselves in guide us after driving down this crazy downhill grade to where it ended at someone’s house. He walked us into the forest (on a fairly lightly traveled footpath, so not QUITE off the beaten path – but still, it keeps with the spirit of this blog, hehe). After a bit of walking, the gorge/erosion opened up in front of me. My mom didn’t walk out there because she’s afraid of animals or something, so she stayed with the driver, but I was really glad I did. It was totally worth it.

I’ve been having this feeling for a little bit, but this is the first time that I feel like I’m really experiencing Nigeria.

No comments: